Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner


After reading about this book on several book blogs and hearing a friend say she really needed someone else to read it so she could talk about it, I finally got around to reading The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner.  I've actually had this book for a long time having picked it up at our fabulous library used book store for $2 (you really can't beat that, can you?), but I just hadn't found the time.  Well I've had a little extra time on my hands lately and I'm so glad I read it. 

In a word- brilliant.  This book is fantasy fiction written for young adults and I think it would be a good read for anyone 10 and older.  It is a fun adventure book written from the perspective of a young man who insists he is the best thief in the land.  His less than humble attitude lands him in prison and then on a quest for a possibly mythical stone that will surely be the death of him.  Set in an imaginary time and place very similar to ancient Greece, superstition leads the way and is the source of most of the clues the five searchers possess. 

This is the first in a series of four and I cannot wait to read the next installment- I hear it's even better!

No comments: