Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Heaven is for Real by Todd Burpo

A sweet book club friend loaned me this book.  We had discussed having Heaven is for Real by Todd Burpo as an official book club selection, but I'm really glad we didn't.  While I enjoyed reading it, I don't think it would have given us enough meat to chew on during a book club discussion. 

Heaven is for Real is written by a pastor of a Wesleyan church in Imperial, Nebraska.  He is also the father of Colton Burpo, a little boy who at age four told his parents that he had been to heaven and back. 

Little Colton was just shy of his fourth birthday when a terrible illness nearly took his life.  After his surgery and recovery he began saying unusual things about Jesus and heaven.  Finally his parents were able to understand that he was trying to tell them he had been to heaven during his surgery.  He was able to describe family members he had never met and events that had occurred while he was in surgery. 

Some of the things said in the book coincided with my beliefs, some not so much.  I think it's one of those things where one has to decide for one's self.  This could be actually what Colton experienced, but I also believe it's possible he was helped a bit.  I reserve judgement.  Who am I to say a four-year-old couldn't have visited heaven and returned?  It is a short read so pick it up if you're so inclined.  I'd love to hear what you think.

No comments: