Wednesday, January 1, 2020

My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry by Fredrik Backman


I loved A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman (the audio version is also fantastic). After reading a couple of suspense thrillers that got a little dark, I needed some lightness and thought Backman's 
My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry might be the perfect antidote to not only those other books, but also for any holiday stress that might come up this time of year.
I was so right.

In this second offering by Backman, we meet Elsa, an almost-eight-year-old girl who has been repeatedly labeled "a little different". Luckily for Elsa, she has the perfect Granny for her- a woman who seems a bit crazy and is quite "different" herself. When Elsa's beloved grandmother dies, Elsa is left with the responsibility of delivering letters to her neighbors, all to whom Granny feels the need to apologize.

This book is sweet and wonderful and absolutely beautiful. Elsa's story is inextricably intertwined with the fairy tales her grandmother has told her all her life. As Elsa begins delivering her letters, she learns just how close to reality those tales are. The imagination that fills these pages is magical. There are several times I had to go back and reread a line or two just to fully bask in the beauty.

This book deals with grief and loss in the most tender way. It isn't just Elsa's loss of her grandmother, but as we meet the large cast of characters we learn they are all carrying their own pain and grief. It was also so very funny in places. Granny has a lot of spunk and is "perky for her age" which means she causes a fair amount of trouble and doesn't have any difficulty standing up for herself or especially for Elsa.

Having a grandmother is like having an army. This is a grandchild's ultimate privilege: knowing that someone is on your side, always, whatever the details.
Even when you are wrong. Especially then, in fact.

Normally, I finish a book and then I pass it on to someone else to enjoy it. This time, I'm not sure I can give it away. There are so many wonderful quotes in this book that I've tagged and might want to go back to again. On the other hand, it would be a shame to not share this charming, delightful book with someone else. I will try to be brave.

No comments: