Tuesday, January 15, 2019

A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman


Don't you just hate it when you have more books to read than time to read them? I know I've lamented this with you before now. It is a constant struggle, isn't it?  I was trying so hard to finish The Lunar Chronicles before I needed to read my book club book, but I was worried I would be cutting it a bit fine so I took a little break. This month's book club choice is A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman. I have been meaning to read this book for so long that it had almost become embarrassing when I've had to admit to my other reader friends that I haven't read it yet.
Finally I no longer have to live with the shame!

Ove lives in Sweden, alone in the home he shared for four decades with his recently departed wife. He is not a very happy man and he feels no misgivings about telling other people how idiotic they are. Ove is ready to leave it all behind when a new family moves in next door and he can't seem to get away from them. An entire neighborhood of misfits come together and somehow it works.

While there were parts of this book that gave me pause, for the first part of the book, I liked it. Then something happened around the halfway mark and I realized that I loved it. There wasn't a specific moment, necessarily, that made me love it more, but rather a growing affection that came to fruition. I love this book and I really wish it hadn't take me so long to finally read it. My sister, who just finished reading this with her book club this month as well texted me to ask if I was finished with it yet. Her actual words were: "I'm dying right now." She needed to talk about it and I completely understand why.

This book is beautifully written and the story is wonderfully told. I hope you'll read it soon, too.

Sometimes a family is the one you choose.

No comments: