Wednesday, January 1, 2020

The Family Upstairs by Lisa Jewell


Three books by Lisa Jewell in one month is absolutely not too many. I just couldn't help myself! When I got to the last few days of December and realized that I had read fifty-one books in 2019, the Type A personality in me just couldn't resist the urge to finish with just one more, but with it being the holidays I knew I would need something fast. My past experience with Jewell practically guaranteed I would make my goal. 

The Family Upstairs follows Libby on her journey to discover who she is. Recently turned twenty-five, Libby has just inherited a huge house in a very posh area of London. Adopted as a baby, Libby has never known anything about her birth family. When the inheritance arrives, she attempts to uncover her own beginnings, the mystery surrounding the death of her parents, and the odd life they lived. Libby's chapters alternate with those of her biological siblings Lucy and Henry. Both have been in hiding since the events that led to Libby's adoption, but they are ready now to reunite. They tell the story of their strange upbringing and the family that moved into the upstairs rooms of their home.

Jewell certainly doesn't disappoint in this creepy tale of domestic drama. This book moved so fast, but I can't say I'd recommend it as something to read while visiting family. The urge to hide myself away in a closet just to find out what would happen next is not exactly conducive to good family relations and I had to force myself to put it away. Fortunately for me, our visit ended with a long, boring drive home (life fifteen hours long) and I had plenty of time to finish. This book wasn't what I was expecting and I think that's a good thing. I love the way Jewell twists and turns and subverts the readers expectations while still leaving us wondering at the end.
If you're looking for something fun to start off your year of reading, this is a good one!

No comments: