Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Uglies by Scott Westerfeld


Uglies by Scott Westerfeld is a book that had caught my eye several months ago.  It was all over the YA book blogs and I knew I would get to it eventually.  Well, I did and I loved it.  The setting is several hundred years in the future, but the exact time isn't specified.  The world is very different.  From birth to age 16, everyone is normal.  At age 16, each person undergoes an intense operation turning them into the extreme ideal of beauty.  As a result, everyone looks very similar, but very beautiful.  Those who have had the operation are called Pretties.  The ones still waiting- Uglies. 

One of my favorite things about this book is all the commentary about how we are destroying our planet.  This new world was developed to remedy all the problems people from our time caused for the environment.  There is no more war, no more fighting and now more destruction of the Earth.  This is the first in a trilogy and I'm looking forward to reading the next book. 

No comments: