Monday, March 26, 2018

What I've Heard- The Story of Arthur Truluv


I adore The Story of Arthur Truluv by Elizabeth Berg. It is a sweet, wonderful story full of goodness and light. We all know there isn't nearly enough of that in the world. Today I finished listening to the audio version and it was lovely. Well, the story was lovely.

Normally I love it when the book is read by the author. The author knows exactly the right inflection to give the words; she knows exactly how it is supposed to sound. With this book, I kept thinking the narrator was kind of terrible and reminded me of a librarian reading a book to a group of children at story time. It was fine, but there wasn't enough drama, enough life in her voice. I was then shocked to discover that the narrator was actually the author. For the most part, I was able to ignore her voice and just listen to the story, but every once in a while it would really bug me.

Narration aside, this book just makes me happy. Like life, everything isn't perfect, but the characters make me want to organize a big group hug with all of them. And if you need a hug, too, you just let me know.

No comments: