Sunday, April 7, 2024

Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire


I went into Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire knowing only that it came highly recommended by someone I follow on social media. And I knew it was short. The last couple of years, I haven't been reading as much as I used to and sometimes a girl just needs to mark a few off the list to get going again. This book is 169 pages and took no time at all to read. Listed as YA Fiction and nominated for Best Fantasy in 2016, I was flipping those pages.

Nancy has been sent away to a boarding school for children who have experienced an unusual circumstance: they all went missing for a time and returned telling outlandish stories or refusing to say where they had been and what had happened to them at all. Nancy's parents hope that she will get the help she needs and go back to the daughter they remember, one who wore colorful clothes and who didn't freeze in place for no discernable reason. Where does Nancy say she was? Well, in the Underworld, of course. At this new school, she meets other children that the world doesn't understand and finds a broad cast of characters who believe her.

I really enjoyed this book. I didn't realize it was YA before I picked it up, and I haven't read as much YA lately, but I really liked it. Fortunately, or unfortunately depending on your perspective, this is the first in a series that currently has eight installments. I don't usually like to get caught up in a lengthy series, but for this one, I'll at least give it a few more and see how it goes from there. I've already picked up the next one from the library! 

 

No comments: