Monday, August 17, 2020

We Begin Our Ascent by Joe Mungo Reed

 

I was really interested in reading We Begin Our Ascent by Joe Mungo Reed, a book about professional cyclists skirting the edge of safety and legality in an effort to surpass the competition. I am a recreational cyclist and so far from the level of the characters in this book that we aren't even in the same galaxy, but I am very curious about the world of the pros. In this fictional account of a domestique, a cycling team member whose job it is to help the team leader win, we read about Sol (short for Solomon) and how he tries to hang on to his position on a pro team racing in the Tour de France. When legal supplements turn to something dirtier and darker, Sol feels he has no choice but to join his team members, even if he doesn't feel right doing it.

I liked this book, but the writing wasn't my favorite. The language felt stunted and choppy, with sharp corners and no ease. And yet the story was compelling. I am fascinated with the psychology of the peloton, the large group of leaders that work together while also competing against one another. This book takes the reader inside that machine and lets us see how the little moving parts all work together. I also felt disappointed that the ending felt so abrupt and without any resolution. Overall, this novel was intriguing and I really enjoyed the peek behind the curtain of the world of pro cycling.

No comments: