Thursday, February 13, 2020

The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery


Recently I was listening to NPR (I'm a giant public radio nerd) and the show Here and Now was doing a series about spirituality. The episode I heard was about Secular Spirituality and how books of all kinds can influence us to do good in the world. The guest, William Schwalbe, recommends several books that he thinks are perfect for this. One of them was The Little Prince by Antoine De Saint-Exupery which I had never read but knew I should. I've seen it listed on so many must-read lists and lists of favorite books. The Little Prince lives on an asteroid, but travels the universe when he can. During one trip to Earth, he meets our narrator, a downed pilot who is stranded in a desert. The Prince tells the pilot about all the places he has visited and what he has learned.

This is a very short children's book, though some argue it isn't really written for children but for children in adult bodies. Maybe the Prince would say I have too much adult in me, but I just didn't enjoy this as much as I had hoped I would. Maybe I shouldn't have put off reading it for so long.

"IT is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

No comments: