Sunday, September 8, 2019

Impostors by Scott Westerfeld


I have enjoyed Scott Westerfeld's books since I first read Uglies about eight years ago. I love the imagination behind a world that might exist after we have made a mess of this one- Rusties, Specials, Extras. And what happens after that world? Surly it continues to evolve, which leads us to Impostors. This book takes place about fifteen years after the end of the Uglies series and centers on two sisters, Rafi and Frey who are twins. Rafi is the heir to her ruthless father's throne. Frey's existence has been kept a secret from her birth, raised for the sole purpose of being Rafi's body double. Any public outing or possible dangerous situation, Frey pretends to be Rafi. When an important alliance must be made and Frey is sent to stand in for Rafi as a hostage. It is then that Frey questions her ability to pull off posing as her sister long term and when the negotiations break down, it is Frey who is in danger.

This book was cute, it kept my attention, and it moved quickly. It is the first in a new series, the second installment of which will be released this month. I have my name on the waiting list and I have hopes it will be good. This book felt like it could have been a stand-alone novel, but then the ending left room for more. It was good, but I can't say I loved it. Westerfeld has a good track record so I will keep reading. Even if it isn't great, it's always good and always worth my time.

No comments: