Friday, June 7, 2019

The Coincidence of Coconut Cake by Amy E. Reichert


What could be a better way to follow an interesting, but hefty, book about the economy than a light and fluffy book about cake and romance? The Coincidence of Coconut Cake by Amy E. Reichert has been on my shelf and waiting for the perfect moment and this was it!

Lou is a remarkable chef and the owner of a small restaurant, but is weighed down by a terrible relationship. Don't worry- this is no spoiler as it is painfully obvious this isn't the man for her in the very first scene. When that all falls apart, so does her cooking- but just for the one day. Unfortunately, it is also the day that a notorious food critic visits her establishment and it couldn't have gone any worse. As Lou grapples with her failing business, she distracts herself with a new friend, Al. The rules are very clear: they are just friends. Lou shows Al the wonders of her home town while Al provides just the inspiration she needs to overcome her trial and fight for what she really wants.
If only it were that simple.

The characters are wonderful and the storyline is sweet and light, but this book had so much delicious food in it and that may have been my favorite part. I love reading about chefs and cooks and bakers, anyone who feeds the people they love; I always feel so inspired- and hungry! Now that I've finished reading all about it, I couldn't resist making my own coconut cake. There is a recipe provided in the back of the book (I love it when authors do that!), but I used one that I have made before and know that I love. It is baking in the oven right this very minute and it smells fantastic!
I recommend this book and a slice of cake- what could be better?

No comments: