Sunday, August 5, 2018

The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware


I appear to be on a bit of a Ruth Ware kick. I've just finished The Woman in Cabin 10 and I'm starting another Ruth Ware today. I had heard lots of good things about The Woman in Cabin 10 so I was happy it was chosen for my online book club, pushing me to finally pick it up and read it. Laura Blacklock, called Lo by all her friends, has an amazing opportunity as a travel writer to join the maiden voyage of a new luxury mini- cruise ship. With only ten cabins available it is ultra-exclusive and something Lo would never be able to experience were it not for her boss, who usually benefits from the magazine's travel perks, being on leave. Shaken by a break-in at her flat, Lo begins the cruise wrong-footed and completely exhausted, but she is determined to make the best of it. When she witnesses what she thinks is a murder in the middle of the night, she isn't completely sure if she can trust herself. After all, all passengers and crew are present and accounted for and the cabin she swears was occupied by a young woman has been vacant the whole time.

When I read The Death of Mrs. Westaway, I was bothered by something in the writing on which I couldn't quite place my finger. I had the same experience with Cabin 10, though I still can't say what it is that bothers me, only that I feel like it isn't very well developed. I felt like it was a bit awkward and unpolished. A pet peeve of mine is when an author uses an unusual phrase more than once, especially when those occurrences are too near one another. For this book, the phrase was "raw-silk". She used it to describe curtains and dresses and décor and it was too much. I was also irritated with a main character that knows she is at an important business function or in a dangerous situation, but who can't stop herself from drinking too much. It just isn't very smart.

Overall, this book was interesting enough. I've said before that mysteries aren't my favorite genre so perhaps someone who likes them better would be able to appreciate this one more than I did.
Let me know if you enjoyed it more than I did.

No comments: