Tuesday, August 14, 2018

The Lying Game by Ruth Ware

As I mentioned in my last post, I've been making my way through the works of Ruth Ware and, frankly, it's been making me a little paranoid. A girl can only read so much suspense, especially when it isn't her usual genre, without questioning everything she thinks she knows. Ruth Ware is a master of making you think you have it figured out and then smacking you in the face with another plot twist.

My latest read is The Lying Game about a foursome of young girls at boarding school who immerse themselves in a game of, you guessed it, lying. Kate and Thea, friends already, meet Isa and Fatima, new girls to the school, on the train at the start of term. They quickly become an impenetrable clique developing a real "us-them" mentality. Things fall apart before long and the girls go their separate ways, each leaving the school. Nearly twenty years later, they are called back together to account for the biggest lie they ever told and it may cause their whole world to come crashing down on them.

Of the three Ware books I've read, I liked this one the best. It isn't because the mystery is so much better, but because the storytelling felt more like a story, more like fiction with a mystery thrown in than a mystery trying super hard to be mysterious. I will say I wasn't a big fan of then ending which felt a little flat, but the rest of the book was really fun to read.

Looks like I only have In a Dark, Dark Wood left to read. What's your favorite Ware novel?

1 comment:

Hannah Bailey said...

Ruth Ware is such an awesome storyteller. This is the second book I've read of hers. She is masterful at plot turns and twists.

Hannah
Ford 7.3 Injectors