Tuesday, May 1, 2018

What I've Seen- Ready Player One


When people say, "The book was better!", I don't always agree, but usually there is so much left out of a film by necessity for time that I feel that way, too.
With Ready Player One, THE BOOK WAS BETTER!

I don't mind when a few scenes are eliminated or an interaction between characters is reworked, but I really don't like it when the entire storyline shifts and when certain characters bear no resemblance to their book counterparts. I specifically read the book now so that I could see the film before it left theaters. My husband, who hasn't read the book, went with me to see the movie and he really enjoyed it. He isn't alone. Rotten Tomatoes gave it a score of 74% which is really pretty good. Most articles I've read discussing the changes from book to film were positive, saying that they actually made the film better.

What really surprised me was that Ernest Cline, the author was also one of the screenwriters. Maybe that should make me feel better because the changes were writer-approved, but it doesn't. I liked the movie fine, but by the halfway point I was so distracted by the changes that it reduced the enjoyment for me. I had to stop myself from whispering to my husband, "That's not how it happened in the book!" Maybe this is just one of those cases where it's okay to see the movie first and then read the book. I didn't hate it, and maybe if I hadn't read the book I really would have liked it, but I was disappointed.

Check out the trailer and see what you think:




No comments: