Friday, March 9, 2018

Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer

When someone first mentioned Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer, my first thought was, "That sounds interesting, but I don't know if I'll ever take the time to read it." I don't even remember requesting it from the library, but when it showed up on my reserve list, I brought it home anyway. I had seen that a few other friends had marked it as read on Goodreads and that they'd liked it, so I gave it a shot. The premise certainly sounded interesting: A meteor has hit the moon and shifted it closer to the earth causing catastrophic changes to the tides and resulting in earthquakes and volcanic eruptions. Miranda is a sixteen-year-old girl living in Pennsylvania and it is through her diary that we read about all that has happened.

When I started reading, I almost stopped right away because it is the diary of a sixteen-year-old girl and frankly, it reads just like one. Kudos to Pfeffer for getting the tone right, but I didn't know if I could avoid feeling irritated by it. I pressed on, figuring I would give it just a bit and I'm glad I did. It doesn't take very long to fall into the rhythm of her speech patterns. I did find the plot interesting and I'm always fascinated by survival stories. I can't help but wonder if I would make it. Would I be clever enough to do what would help my family outlast the crisis?

This book was a fun, quick read. I'm not sure I'll read the rest of the series, but I would like to know what happens next. Have you read this series? Did you enjoy it? Would you be able to survive?

No comments: