Thursday, January 18, 2018

What I've Heard- As You Wish

Today I finished listening to such a fun book- As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride by Cary Elwes. I love The Princess Bride. Like many of you, I'm sure, I can quote nearly the entire film and for me the jokes never lose their charm. I borrowed the print version of this book from the library just to take a gander at behind-the-scenes photos, but then I checked out and listened to the audio version. Typically, I only listen to books I've read in case I miss an important plot point, but I thought this book would be better as an audio version. With it being read by Wesley himself and with the voices of several other actors, I was totally right. This audio book was fantastic.

Cary Elwes is darling and so full of kindness and love for everyone with whom he worked on the film. The way that he talks about his experience filming this much-loved production of a much-loved novel makes me love the movie even more, if that's possible. He makes it sound as if making this movie was a dream come true, not only for himself, but for everyone involved with the production. And when he talks about his sadness at finishing filming and leaving the wonderful friends he had made, I cried, too. Sure, I'm a sap, but he made the production sound so wonderful that I didn't want to see it end, either.

If you love The Princess Bride like I do, you will loved this peek into how such a wonderful film was made and you'll learn so much about the actors and producers involved. And listen to the audio version. It couldn't be more wonderful.

1 comment:

kelly said...

Thanks for reviewing this! I think that for kids of our generation, TPB is basically sacred. I'm so glad to hear that there's an extension of this beloved story, and especially ready by Wesley (who I must admit, I STILL have a crush on!) :)

So impressed with your website, btw! I'm thinking that maybe we should have such a website for Virtual Book Club, but I've never set one up before and wouldn't know where to start...