Thursday, October 15, 2015

Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict by Laurie Viera Rigler


We are book lovers. We read because we love books and when we love books, we tend to be book hoarders collectors. I have been trying to work my way through two boxes of books that came to my attention as unread in our last move. You know how that is- you're at a bookstore or, even better, a book sale and somehow you end up with a stack of books larger than you can really carry. Then you take them all home, put them on a shelf and start making your way through them. The only problem is that there is always another book sale (yea!) and before you know it, you are over your head in TBR.

I have recently been trying to work my way through those two boxes of TBR and Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict by Laurie Viera Rigler was up next. Who knows how long ago I picked it up, but it has a very appealing premise. Courtney is a recently unengaged young woman nearing thirty whose obsession with Jane Austen provides her with her only comfort in a world that isn't exactly going the way she'd like. When she wakes one morning to find herself in the room, life and body of a young regency-era woman named Jane, she is utterly baffled. When she tries to explain to the people around her that she isn't who they think she is, they threaten to send her to a mental asylum. Knowing that is something she wants to avoid at all costs, Courtney assumes Jane's identity as best she can.

This was a cute book, a quick read and it sparked some compelling thoughts. Courtney retains her twenty-first century mind so it is interesting to see her reactions to eighteenth century health care and hygiene. This is the first book in a series so there are still so many questions, but I'm not sure that I'll get to the other books. They would be fun to read, but as stated above, I'm a little over my head as it is. Have you read this series? Should I continue? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I'll leave you with this lovely bit of advice from a fortune teller that Courtney/ Jane meets:

"You, like everyone else, have a destiny to fulfill. You must stop resisting your destiny. Be where you are right now. Live your life. ...That is the only way to get where you're supposed to go."

No comments: