Monday, September 28, 2015

The Royal We by Heather Cocks & Jessica Morgan


One review I read called The Royal We by Heather Cocks and Jessica Morgan "pure Kate Middleton fanfiction" and I totally agree, but why not? Kate is a modern-day fairy tale, at least as we know the story. The Royal We follows Rebecca (Bex) Porter as she spends a semester abroad at Oxford and happens to meet Prince Nicholas (Nick). She becomes fast friends with the prince and his close knit group of friends. As their relationship develops into something more, Bex must face that the Nick she knows has a side to him that comes with huge responsibilities and complications. With the press constantly on alert, Nick's father pushing for more appropriate young ladies and trying to keep everyone happy at once, Nick and Bex hit more than a few speed bumps.

This was a fun, engaging read, but I just hate it when a good book is ruined by a bad ending. It seemed to be going so well until an unnecessary plot twist throws a wrench into everything and then is somehow wrapped up nicely at the end. Except that it wasn't. The ending stopped short of an actual conclusion. Perhaps the authors intend to write a sequel or perhaps they just meant to leave it open to reader interpretation. It really only needed an epilogue, but this reader was out of luck.

There were so many moments in this book where I laughed right out loud or had to go back and reread because it was such a great section. The characters are mostly likable, expect for those we are meant to dislike. I am well aware that my opinion of this book may be skewed by my irrational need for a fully written happily ever after, so you may feel completely differently than I do. If you're in the mood for a silly, fun reimagining of the romance of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, definitely give this one a look. And feel free to tell me how wrong I am, if you so choose.

No comments: