Tuesday, August 5, 2014

The Book of Life by Deborah Harkness


I think it says a lot about a book when the reader notices that she is about halfway through the novel and is already sad that it is almost finished.  That is how I felt about The Book of Life by Deborah Harkness.  As soon as I noticed I was at 50% (I read this on my Kindle), I started thinking how I couldn't stand for this series to come to an end and that I knew I would need to reread it soon.  I have really enjoyed the All Souls trilogy and its wonderful characters.  By this final installment, there is a large cast of characters and at times it takes a little effort to remember how each person fits into the story, but once I was fully into the book that was no longer a problem.  

As this is the last book in a series, I am reluctant to share too much.  There must be an insane amount of pressure on an author to finish a series in a way that will both satisfy her readers and also fulfill her own vision of the story.  Ms. Harkness did a wonderful job with the finale.  There were plot lines that I wish were more fully resolved, but perhaps those are best left to the reader.  I cannot recommend this series enough.  This is a series that I will most certainly re-read.


No comments: