Monday, August 11, 2014

Flame by Amy Kathleen Ryan


Flame by Amy Kathleen Ryan is the third book in the Sky Chasers trilogy along with Glow and Spark.  In this final installment, Waverly, Seth and Kieran are now working separately to try to salvage the disastrous mission of the two ships making their way to New Earth.  Their previous home, the Empyrean has been destroyed and they are now all crowded on to the New Horizon and hoping to repair the emotional damage done by the actions of both crews.  Unfortunately, no one can be trusted.

This book reminded me why I don't like to get involved with a series until it has all been released.  I read the first book, Glow, two-and-a-half years ago and the second book over a year ago.  For me, that is just too large a gap between readings for me.  I had forgotten many of the details, though the major plot points came back to me fairly quickly.  I considered a quick re-read of the previous books, but I just didn't want to spend the time.  In the end, it turned out not to be too much of an issue although I'm sure the story would have felt richer.  

Overall, I really liked this series.  These weren't the best books I've ever read, but they were exciting and provided an opening to an interesting debate about where power should lie, whether in the hands of government or in religion.  It also allows the reader to imagine what would be necessary to begin an entirely new society and if in so doing the problems of the past would be resolved or if they would simply follow.  A little science fiction, a little social commentary, these books make for good reading.  I hope you'll give them a try.

No comments: