Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Dark Triumph by Robin LaFevers


 
This week I read Dark Triumph  by Robin LaFevers.  Remember when I said that Grave Mercy is listed as YA lit and really shouldn't be?  Well, Dark Triumph  really shouldn't be for young adults.  This was a great book and I couldn't put it down, but it goes so far into some dark subjects that I can't imagine my teenager reading.  In Grave Mercy  the main character is Ismae, but in Dark Triumph  we follow Sybella as the fight for the duchess continues.  Usually the second book in a trilogy is considered a "bridge book" where the author has to introduce more information and story building to get to the finale of the series.  I love that LaFevers chooses instead to explore other characters.  This keeps the reader engaged and still moves the story along. 
 
In this installment, we learn how Sybella came to be at the convent and the horrible life she has escaped.  Unfortunately for her, Sybella has been sent back to the very people who made the first fourteen years of her life such torture.  In this important household, she is able to convince her monstrous father that she is loyal to him all while watching and waiting for a sign that she may be the one to end his life.  Her frustration grows and her faith withers as the wait seems to never come to an end.  I truly wish I could tell you more, but it would ruin too much of the suspense that LaFevers has worked so hard to create.  The third and final book will be released Spring 2014 and I am anxiously awaiting more news.  If you need something to capture your imagination and if you enjoy books with strong female characters, these are just what you need.  Really.  No, really.

No comments: