Thursday, May 5, 2011

Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe


The book club selection for May is Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg.  Of course, I have seen the movie version many times, though it's been years since the last.  The film is a fairly decent representation of the book, although some events were changed and others were moved around a bit. 

I loved the little bit about Mrs. Threadgood missing eating buttermilk and cornbread:  "I like to smash it all up in my glass and eat it with a spoon, but you cain't eat in public like you can at home...can you?"  My great-grandmother used to do just that very thing, eat buttermilk and cornbread all mixed up in a  glass.  I love all the talk about good Southern food.  My grandmother used to make fried green tomatoes (though she called them green fried tomatoes) and I remember they were delicious.  I haven't had one since she passed away, but I remember them fondly. 

I'm really looking forward to our book club meeting tomorrow evening.  Christy, our host this month, has promised lots of food made with recipes right from the book.  Arteries, don't fail me now!

No comments: