Monday, April 4, 2011

Major Pettigrew's Last Stand


The official book club selection for April was Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson.  First, can we start with the cover?  I know you aren't supposed to judge a book by it's cover, but I just love the front of this book.  If you look closely enough, you see it is two coats and two hats hanging on a stand, but it's just such a sweet photo. 

Major Pettigrew is an older gentleman and a widower.  His unlikely friendship with a local shop owner and widow, Jasmina Ali, turns into more than he had ever expected.  Jasmina is such a wonderful character.  I loved her quick-witted replies and strength.  When the Major's obnoxious son makes a comment about Mrs. Ali being the Major's "lady friend," Jasmina responds with "I refuse to be referred to by a term so oily with double entendre.  I prefer 'lover.'"  And who couldn't love her? 

This was a lovely book and I truly enjoyed it.  Of course, I'm beginning to discover that I am a bit of an anglophile.  I love all things British- the accents, the manner of speech, the propriety.  I love it all. 

No comments: