Friday, November 12, 2010

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

I'm on my way!  I have plunged into the Potter pool...


...and I think I'm liking the water so far.  I cannot count the number of friends and family who have badgered  told me that I need to read these books.  "You haven't read Harry Potter yet?"  "But you just have to read Harry Potter!"  "Why haven't you read Harry Potter?!?!"  Harry Potter fans (Pot Heads??) are very intense.  And very persuasive, so here I am.  Reading Harry Potter.  

A few friends warned me that the first couple of installments in Harry's world are a little slow, but that it picks up as the series progresses.  It's a good thing I had that warning, because I gotta tell ya': I'm not bewitched yet.  It didn't exactly have me at hello like a certain other Young Adult series which I will not name here for fear of offense to all those J. K. Rowling fans out there, but I am sticking with it.  By the end of the book, I was very interested to see what would happen and I was genuinely surprised by the twist at the end.  (Professor Quirrell?  Really??)

I am looking forward to starting Chamber of Secrets today and I think if I can keep up this pace, I will have no trouble getting through the series by year's end.  Stick with me as I stick with Harry.  I can't wait to see how it goes!


1 comment:

Amy said...

I only had a little trouble getting into the first one, because there was a lot of backstory there. However, I think you will shortly be in love, and whipping through them! I am happy to discuss at any juncture. After this, I'm going to have to start badgering...uh, I mean, encouraging you to read His Dark Materials, the trilogy you loaned me a couple of years ago. This is what I love about perusing April's bookshelves: There are books there she has had forever, but hasn't read, but is still excited about eventually reading!