Thursday, November 18, 2010

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

I have just finished reading Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J. K. Rowling, the second book in the Harry Potter series.
I am enjoying the series, but for me, this book had a slow start.  I was at least halfway through before I felt much pull to get to the end.  When I sit down to read, I like the story, but I can't help but wish I could hurry it along a bit.  I was also struck by how much Dobby's character reminded me of Gollum from The Lord of the Rings.  Admittedly, I haven't read that series, but I have seen the films, and the two characters seemed very similar- they each referred to themselves in the third person, Dobby's description sounded much like what Gollum looked like in the films, and they were both annoying as heck.  That's right, Ladies and Gentlemen, I just said "heck."  I hope you aren't too shocked. 

Finally, I began to enjoy the storyline and I am very pleased with the plot twists we have had in this series so far.  I try very hard not to get ahead of the author and figure out what is going to happen, but I have been very surprised.  It's fun to be taken by surprise.  I can't wait to see what's around the next corner. 

The Prisoner of Azkaban is next!

No comments: