Tuesday, October 12, 2010

What This is All About...

If you've met me you know I love to read.  I've always been a reader.  Books gave me something to do on that long bus ride home from school every day when I was a kid.  Books have given me something to do while I sit in waiting rooms rather than thumbing through a two-year-old copy of Woman's Day magazine.  Books have helped me be much more willing to watch all those car shows and episodes of "Dirty Jobs" (although Mike Rowe is nice to look at).  I love books.

I love to read books.  I love to talk about books with my friends.  I love my book club.  I love the way a book feels in my hand (sorry, no Kindle or Nook for me).  And I love the smell of a book store or library.  I am a book nerd and I'm not one little bit embarrassed about it. 

Over the last two years, my book consumption has sharply increased.  I will admit that had something to do with a little franchise you may have heard of- Twilight.  Suddenly, I couldn't read enough.  I joined a book club (that is wonderful, by the way!).  I discovered a used book store in my library that sells books for $4 or less.  I spend way too much (time and money) on Amazon.  I am always reading something now.  

I was reading online recently about a woman setting a goal to read 144 books in a year and I thought, "Huh.  I wonder how many books I read this year?"  That is what this is all about.  I want to keep track of the books I've read, how many and what I thought about them.  I considered waiting for the New Year to start this, but why wait?  I want to start now.  And even thought I've read some great books this year, I probably won't go back and try to rehash them all.  I'm sure there will be a few that I feel the need to write about and I will probably put several of the more memorable ones in the list on the right, but a full report of this year I won't be able to make.  We'll just start from here and see how it goes. 

So these are my ramblings.  I hope you enjoy it.  I know I will!

2 comments:

Amy said...

April! You are a wonderful writer, something I have known about you for some time (hello, dear, where is the final installment for "Our French Quarter"?!). But I am really excited for this blog, and have already enjoyed every post. My fellow bibliophile, I salute you!

Juanita said...

Yeah, I am so excited about this blog. Can't wait to try to keep up. My time goes buy to fast but Books are always a priority in my life too!! I can't wait to see what you are reading and this will help me find all those great treasures of books still waiting for me to read.