Tuesday, June 15, 2021

What I've Heard- The Four Agreements


I read The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz so many years ago that it isn't even in my Goodreads account. I loved it and it was time for a re-read. I have a copy of the book- it's quite small at only 138 pages- but I thought it might be nice to listen to the audio version. It's only a couple of hours long and it is wonderful. The only thing that bugged me was that I could not place the voice of the narrator, Peter Coyote. Turns out he's this handsome devil:



You may recognize him as the head scientist in ET or as the Dad in A Walk to Remember or more recently for our family, as the head of NTAC in The 4400. I knew his voice. I could almost picture him. It was making me crazy that I couldn't figure out who he was. Luckily, IMDB came to the rescue. And let me assure you that he's not just a pretty face. His voice is like velvet reading this inspiring book.

The Four Agreements is about self-improvement and learning the lesson that we can make our own heaven on earth by living by these four principles:


I've included this handy dandy graphic because I thought it was so pretty. These aren't complicated concepts. "Always do your best" seems almost as basic as possible, but Ruiz has a way of making the reader (or listener) realize how vital they are to our well-being. You will be challenged. You will have to stretch to make these work. And you will likely have to start and restart. I know I will, but I believe in the wisdom of these words. I would recommend this book to everyone. It hardly takes any time at all and it could just change your whole perspective.



 

No comments: