Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Invisible Girl by Lisa Jewell


Invisible Girl by Lisa Jewell is a mystery told from three persepectives: Saffyre, a teenage girl trying to heal from a childhood trauma; Cate, the wife of Saffyre's therapist; and Owen, the very strange, anti-social single man who lives across the street with his aunt. When Saffyre goes missing, there is a lot of speculation of who could be responsible. There have been street attacks on young women in the neighborhood and Cate's daughter is quick to cast suspicion on Owen. He certainly does look guilty, but only time will tell.

I enjoy books written from multiple perspectives, especially with such different characters, because it gives the reader the opportunity to view the contrasting sides of the story. It goes back to the idea that no one is a 'bad guy' in their own mind. The individual motivations make all the difference. Jewell handles this well with distinctive voice and well-fleshed characters.

I liked this book, but not a lot. The characters weren't particularly likable and it felt slow to me. I wasn't overly motivated to pick it up. I had high hopes for it at the beginning, but somehow it fell flat. Other members of the book club enjoyed it more than I did, so maybe I just wasn't in the right headspace for this one.

 

No comments: