Thursday, March 4, 2021

The Love Proof by Madeleine Henry


Can love transcend time? In Love Proof by Madeleine Henry, Sophie thinks so. A certified genius with a personalized education plan at Yale, Sophie is determined to make a breakthrough in the study of time. She meets Jake on her first day and they quickly become inseparable. Equally driven, he spends his four years of college in awe of her talent and intellect. Upon graduation, reality dawns and they are pulled apart. Or are they?

I really loved the first half of this book. I was fascinated by all the theory and scientific discussion. Unfortunately, it was ruined when one character makes a choice for the other for their own good. I hate it when characters, or people, do that. The result is one kind of success, but a great loss of another kind. I'm trying not to spoil the story for you in case you would like to read it yourself. The Goodreads rating is nearly four stars and the reviews are full of praise, but I was disappointed.

I loved how brilliant Sophie is. Smart women, especially geniuses on the verge of scientific discovery, really appeal to me. I have no problem with a character like that who is maybe a bit naïve with other more practical things in life, but this went too far. Sophie has no agency or strength of her own. It felt weak and that made me sad.

 

No comments: