Sunday, July 19, 2020

All We Ever Wanted by Emily Giffin


As popular a writer as Emily Giffin is, somehow I had never read one of her books. I have had All We Ever Wanted on my TBR list for a very long time and I've just now finished it. Nina is the mother of eighteen-year-old Finch, a senior at a prestigious private school who has recently been accepted to Princeton. She is also the wife of very wealthy and connected Kirk. Their lives seem perfect, from the outside and from the inside, too, until a cell phone photo begins making its rounds in their upscale community. The rumor mill is hard at work assigning blame and defending "good families". Meanwhile, scholarship student Lyla just wants it all to go away, and most of all for her father not to find out about it.

This was a very fast read for me, full of intrigue and questions about who was telling the truth and who was a heartless liar. Teenagers make mistakes, but at what point does that mistake cross a line into cruelty? The descriptions of Nina's lavish lifestyle are a pure escapist fun, but it is clear that it comes at a cost she didn't realize she was paying. I really enjoyed this book and will definitely keep Giffin on my list of authors to follow.

No comments: