Thursday, May 21, 2020

Brazen by Penelope Bagieu


Brazen: Rebel Ladies Who Rocked the World by Penelope Bagieu is a collection of graphic biographies about women who fought against what was expected of them and accomplished great things. Bagieu highlights women from around the world and throughout history in hopes of inspiring women of today, both young and old, to raise their voices and change the world. Some of the fascinating subjects include:

Margaret  Hamilton- the wicked witch in The Wizard of Oz
Giorgina Reid- a woman who helped save a historic lighthouse
Leymah Gbowee- a social worker in Liberia
Mae Jemison- the first black woman in space
And so many more!

This wonderful book taught me about so many new (to me) feminist icons and in a concise, easily readable fashion. I actually borrowed this from the library for my daughter to read because I thought its "graphic novel" style might grab her attention. It certainly did- she loved it and insisted I read it, too. I also became a fan and it made me want to learn even more about these amazing women. I have a whole list of further research to do now! I highly recommend you pick up this book yourself and see what you can learn from some of the strongest, most resilient, most interesting women in history.


No comments: