Saturday, August 3, 2019

The Friend Zone by Abby Jimenez


I first learned about Abby Jimenez when I stumbled across this ridiculously hilarious article about a cake in her Minnesota bakery, Nadia Cakes. I started following her on Facebook and the hilarity continued. When she announced that she had landed a book deal for a contemporary romance novel, I was already invested enough in her humor to risk reading a genre I generally dislike.
The Friend Zone follows Kristin and Josh, the maid of honor and best man at their respective best friends' wedding. They meet and like each other nearly right away, but when Kristin learns that Josh has always wanted a large family, Kristin shoves him firmly into the Friend Zone. She knows they can never be together because she can't have children. And yet, Josh and Kristin are finding it extremely difficult to remain just friends.

This book started off a little shaky- I almost didn't read more than the first couple of chapters because it just didn't seem like very good writing to me. I would have been really sad about that, but I just can't waste good reading time on bad writing. The memory of Abby's Facebook posts was enough to keep me going and I'm glad I did. I was pulled into the story and didn't want to put it down. This book is funny and sad and- fair warning for those of you who, like me, don't read a lot of romance- has some pretty steamy parts. It's those steamy parts that usually annoy me and keep me from reading romance, but somehow Abby wrote it in a way that it was plenty sexy without being weird or gross.
I am really glad I gave this book a shot and that I stuck with it. This would make the ideal end of summer, one-last-beach/ pool/ airplane flight read. I think you'll really like it.


No comments: