Tuesday, April 16, 2019

The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King


The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King is the first in a fifteen book series starring Mary Russell and her mentor, the now "retired" Sherlock Holmes. Having stumbled upon Mr. Holmes while on a walk through the countryside, fifteen-year-old Mary, an orphan in the care of a cheerless spinster aunt, discovers her intellectual equal. It may seem boastful to consider oneself the equal of Sherlock Holmes, but in this case it is also true. The two become fast friends and develop a partnership that takes her away from her unhappy life and injects a little spark into his too-peaceful one.

This book was interesting and the characters were good. The mysteries presented were intriguing, but the pacing was just far too slow. The language used in this historical novel was appropriate, but it impeded the reading. I really wanted to read this, but I would get a couple of pages in and find my eyes drifting closed; or I would put it down at the slightest provocation from the outside world. I know a lot of people would enjoy this style of writing, and it does draw the reader into the setting, but I just couldn't help but be a bit annoyed. Perhaps it is my fault for wanting to read more quickly so that I can read more books, but I felt like this book really slowed me down too much. I will, however, keep this series in mind for when I am in a more relaxed frame of mind because I think I could really enjoy spending more time with these characters.

No comments: