Monday, October 1, 2018

I Work at a Public Library by Gina Sheridan


I live in a town that has always had a wonderful library. They never fail me when I really need something, be it book, audiobook, or DVD. The little bookstore in the corner of the library makes me happy every time I walk through it, nearly always bringing something home. I was wandering through the library last week when I stumbled upon a table that was displaying this cute little book:
I Work at a Public Library by Gina Sheridan. Now, I've kind of always wanted to work at a public library so of course this book called right to me. It is a collection of wacky, amusing encounters the author has had over the years working as a public librarian.

These experiences range from strange reference questions, to crazy complaints from patrons, all the way to touching moments of connection. This whole tiny little book was wonderful and I laughed quite out loud several times, but my favorite section was the last one in the book. It was all about those wonderful moments when a librarian gets to see the good they've done in the lives of their patrons. I actually cried over a couple of the stories. The best one was about a Doughnut Guy and it really goes to show how important it is to ask people about themselves. You really never know who you are going to meet.

If you love the library as much as I do (and, man is that a lot!), pick up this quick read and enjoy seeing it from the other side of the reference desk.

When you've read the book and are thirsty for more, check out the author's blog:


No comments: