Wednesday, May 17, 2017

What I've Seen- The Circle


Today I saw, despite its less than stellar reviews, The Circle starring Emma Watson and Tom Hanks. And...I really liked it! I don't always agree with reviews, but when the critics and viewers say it's no good, I usually stay away, or at least wait for it to come out on DVD. After all, Rotten Tomatoes gives it 16% from critics and only 24% from viewers. That doesn't make it sound great, but having just finished reading the book, I wanted to see it anyway. I'm really glad I did.

I liked the book The Circle, but there were some things I didn't care for, some characters I didn't like, and the ending wasn't what I would have liked to read, but I understand that not every book can go exactly as I would want. The movie The Circle changed some things and normally I would be all up in arms about that, but a lot of what was changed from the book to the movie, I really liked. That's not to say that they didn't chop out parts I thought were important. Of course they did. That is par for the course in adapting a book for the silver screen. They just can't fit everything in to a nearly two hour film. There were a lot of details that the unread viewer will have missed so I absolutely recommend reading the book in conjunction with the film; preferably reading first, watching second.

One of the reasons that I was so willing to take a chance on this film was the cast. I love Emma Watson and Tom Hanks, but that wasn't the end of the star power. Also among the cast were Karen Gillan (who I LOVE!), Bill PaxtonJohn BoyegaPatton OswaltJudy Reyes, and even Beck. That is a pretty compelling group of actors and I thought the were wonderful.

I absolutely see the irony in blogging about this movie, but wanted to be sure to share, after all, "Sharing is Caring!"

If you haven't seen the film yet, here is the trailer to peak your interest. If you have seen it, let me hear what you thought. I'd love to hear it- zing me! 



No comments: