Tuesday, August 30, 2016

The Wednesday Sisters by Meg Waite Clayton


I don't read a lot of "chick lit", but I do love a good story about friendships between women. I love any story that shows women supporting and uplifting one another. Did you ever read Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons by Lorna Landvik? I read that before I started SmartGirlsRead, but I loved it! The Wednesday Sisters by Meg Waite Clayton was a little like it. In AHEB, the friends are all in a book club. In The Wednesday Sisters, the friends all meet at their neighborhood park and begin a writing club together. They begin meeting each Wednesday morning and presenting their individual writing projects. As they learn and grow as writers, they also grow as mothers, wives and women. They help one another through struggles and encourage each other.

This book is set in the late 1960s and though the main character gives us brief glimpses into the future for the Wednesday Sisters, the story contained in this book really only covers a few years. This book was fun to read and quick, but it also ended a bit too quickly for me. The ending felt, well... abrupt. The characters have complex concerns and difficulties in their lives, but somehow the storytelling seems to only brush the surface. I enjoyed this book, but it was no AHEB. Seriously, if you haven't read that one, get on it now!





No comments: