Monday, March 28, 2016

Slated by Teri Terry


I'm not sure if I've mentioned it, but I love books. No, really- I do. And my love of books has caused me to not just buy and read books, but to be involved in many book-related activities. One of these activities has been volunteering at school book fairs. At one of our schools, I had a really good in with the school librarian (Librarian's Pet, party of one!) and she would always give me coupons to spend in the book fair. She knew the way to my heart. Today's post is about one book that I bought with some of those lovely coupons.

Slated by Teri Terry is about a sixteen-year-old girl named Kyla. She is about to meet her parents. Except they aren't her real parents and she really is meeting them for the first time. Kyla is part of a rehabilitation program for terrorists. If the convicted terrorist is young enough, he or she is taken into this program where his or her memory and personality are erased. This squashes any terroristic behaviors and makes the person moldable into a productive member of society. Or at least that is how it is supposed to work.

This book was a fun read that aims to encourage the reader to ask questions, both about the characters in the book and the people around us in real life. Just because someone tells us something is true doesn't make it so. It also encourages us to contemplate what makes us who we are. Our past experiences all add up to the people we have become and without those memories we lose who we might have been. There is a bit of a conspiracy theory at work in the novel and the reader wonders, along with Kyla, whom it is safe to trust. While not quite on par with The Hunger Games, it was still good fun. Slated is the first in a trilogy that I may or may not find time to finish. The finale certainly sounds interesting so that's encouraging. Have you read this series? Should I continue?

No comments: