Monday, September 1, 2014

The Maze Runner by James Dashner



I've had The Maze Runner by James Dashner on my bookshelf for a few months and so with the upcoming movie release, I thought I should finally get to it.  I had heard so many good things about this book and the few previews of the movie I have seen make it look so good, but sadly I was disappointed.  I just didn't like it.  The characters weren't very compelling to me, the situation annoyed me and I just kept waiting for it to get better.  Maybe it is because the story reminded me so much of Lord of the Flies and I really didn't like that book either.

Thomas wakes to find himself in a large elevator-like metal box.  He can remember his name and basic things like how to talk and function, but he can't remember anything specific about himself or the world.  When the box finally opens, he is in a large compound surrounded by other teenage boys.  No one knows how they got there or why, but there is a maze just outside the walls and they are determined to solve it and find a way out.

The first half of the book seemed to drag and I didn't care for the writing.  Honestly, I only kept reading to get through it.  It is the first in a four book series, one of which is a prequel, but I won't be reading any further.  I did look on Wikipedia to read the synopses of the remaining books and from what I saw, I'm not sad to move on to something else.  I've already had one person tell me I was absolutely wrong about these books, but it just wasn't for me.  Maybe you'll like it better.

And now on to something else...

No comments: