Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Tuesdays at the Castle by Jessica Day George

 
Tuesdays at the Castle by Jessica Day George is the book that was calling to me from the Book Fair shelves a few weeks back.  A girl on the cover carrying books and papers with a brainy expression on her face?  Of course it was calling to me.  Once I read the back of the book, it was mandatory that I bring it home.  See for yourself:
 
Every Tuesday, Castle Glower takes on a life of its own.  It grows new rooms, creates secret passages, and even invents entire wings- all by itself!  No one knows why or how, and only Princess Celie takes the time to record the Castle's many twists and turns. 
 
The premise of a magic castle brought to mind the love I had as a child for The Castle in the Attic by Elizabeth Winthrop  .  As a matter of fact, I still love that book and I would highly recommend it as well.  In Tuesdays at the Castle , I adored Princess Celie.  She is a refreshingly strong female character who takes risks to protect her family and their cherished home, the Castle.  She is smart and brave and loyal and thoughtful, all characteristics I hope to encourage in my own daughter, and in myself for that matter.  I truly enjoyed this book and it is now on our family summer reading list.  I am delighted to see that it is the first in a series.  The second book, Wednesdays in the Tower , will be released this coming May. 

1 comment:

Amy said...

Any chance you'll share your family summer reading list? Xander is doing well with his own reading, but they are both enjoying having chapter books read to them, and of course, I want to enjoy what I'm reading to then as well!