Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Entwined by Heather Dixon


Isn't that a beautiful cover?  I know you can't tell a book by it's cover, but it does give a few hints.   I had seen this book several places and I was intrigued.  Now you know I hate spoilers, and maybe this doesn't count, but be warned: 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I had no idea that this book was based on The Twelve Dancing Princesses.  Obviously I didn't take the time to actually read the book jacket.  I prefer to jump right in to a new book.  I started reading and Azalea, the main character, is very excited about a ball.  Her sisters are not allowed to attend because they are not yet of age.  The book slowly mentions sister after sister until it becomes clear that there are eleven of them.  Shortly thereafter, a twelfth sister is born.  All twelve sisters are named alphabetically after flowers: Azalea, Bramble, Clover, Delphinium, Evening Primrose (she insist on being called Eve), Flora, Goldenrod, Hollyhock, Ivy, Jessamine, Kale and finally Lily.  Maybe that is too sappy for some readers, but I thought it was precious!   

Following a family tragedy, the princesses discover a secret passage within the walls of the castle that takes them to a magic pavilion where they can dance all night long.  They do wear out their slippers and at first it is the most fun any of them has ever had.  Eventually, though, Azalea realizes things are not exactly as they seem and she must protect her sisters. 

I loved the fairy tale aspect of this book.  It is filled with magic and the quest for love and familial loyalty and honor and duty.  Bramble in particular made me laugh out loud.  Please read this book.  I borrowed it from the library, but I think I will have to purchase my own copy.  I really really loved it.  Once you read it, tell me what you think. 

No comments: