Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

This was a reread in preparation for the release of the final Harry Potter film.  Since I read the series in such quick succession I felt like a refresher was a good idea.  Boy, was I right!  The final book is so complex and there is so much happening that I really needed to read it again. 

My dear friend Amy and I bought tickets to see the Deathly Hallows Double Feature and that made it even more fun.  I showed up to the theater at 2:45pm to get in line because we knew it was sold out and we really didn't want to be forced into sitting in the front row with our necks strained straight up the whole evening.  Since I was able to get there so early, we were first in line.  I hung out, chatted with the other people in line and read a book while I waited.  And you should have seen all the people dressed up.  I wish I had taken pictures- they were so fun! 

A little after 6pm, the theater manager let us go ahead and get seated.  We found awesome seats right in the middle of the theater about four rows from the top.  We sat there for about 2 minutes before we felt a strong urge to move.  A rather odoriferous group of people had sat down in front of us and we didn't want to deal with that all evening either.  We shifted down to the end of the row, and that ended up to be even better.  Sweet Amy and I were then able to chat and catch up for a few hours (and eat the yummy Chipotle burritos she had smuggled in for us) while we waited for the first film to start. 

Part 1 of The Deathly Hallows began at 9pm.  We snacked on toffee and pretzel wands that I had made.  After those credits rolled, we had an hour to stand in line for the bathroom and then it was time for Part 2!  As the lights lowered, everyone clapped.  It was a very exciting atmosphere.  I enjoyed watching with such a dedicated group of real Harry Potter fans.  We cheered together at all the right parts and we sniffled together when necessary.  The movie was over around 2:15am, I was home at 3am and asleep at 4am.  And of course, since I am the mother of two small children, I was awake at 6:30am.  Not a lot of sleep, but it was totally worth it.  We had a great time and I'm so glad I went!

No comments: