Saturday, January 29, 2011

Iron Jawed Angels


Okay, so I know this is supposed to be a book blog, but I just can't stop myself from sharing this wonderful film with you.  I hope you'll forgive my digression. 

Recently, while reading the homeschooling section of Pioneer Woman's website, I came across a discussion about the women's suffrage movement.  Over and over again readers were recommending this film so I just had to see it for myself.  And since my wonderful library system had it in stock, I was able to get it quickly and for free (it doesn't get much better than that, does it?).  This HBO produced film was released in 2004 and won Anjelica Huston the Golden Globe for Best Supporting Actress.  The film also stars Hilary Swank as Women's Rights Activist Alice Paul, Frances O'Conner, Vera Farmiga and Patrick Dempsey. 

This was a fascinating chronicle of a pivotal event in American history about which I ashamedly know very little.  Well, that's about to change.  My curiosity has been sparked and I can't wait to learn more.  I hope you'll take the opportunity to view this film and share it with the other women in your life. 

And like the tag line says, "Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way."

...........................................................................................................................................................................

Just a disclaimer:  While I think it is important we share this with our daughters, and I hope you will, I recommend your viewing it first.  There is one scene in which the character played by Hilary Swank spends a little alone time in the tub.  Just sayin'.   

No comments: