Monday, June 17, 2024

What I've Heard- Spare by Prince Harry




Yes, I am a little late to the tea party, but I finally got around to listening to Spare by Prince Harry. Audiobook is my format of choice when it comes to memoirs, especially when they are read by the author. At fifteen hours and thirty-nine minutes, this was a lengthy one, but I really enjoyed it. It was very interesting to learn some of the behind-the-scenes protocols when it comes to the British Royal Family. The idea of needing to make an appointment with your own grandmother and then having that appointment subject to approval by anyone other than her was baffling. It was heartbreaking to learn about the lack of affection with which Harry was raised and hearing his description of the pursuit of the press was immensely frustrating to the point of my own muttering in public. I've mentioned before that I usually listen to audiobooks on my bike rides, so at least there was no one to witness my muttering, but still. 

In his own recollection, Harry takes responsibility for all his naughty behavior over the years. He admits when he was wrong and details his attempts to do better. He does not, however, let any of the false stories about him or his family stand. Encompassing his whole life, he shares his memories as best he can; while admitting there are things he can't recall due to the trauma of the situation. Seeing as this is his memoir, of course we are only hearing his side of the stories, but I found his version very compelling. I highly recommend adding this to your list of audiobooks. 

 

No comments: