Saturday, January 9, 2021

You'll Never Believe What Happened to Lacey by Amber Ruffin and Lacey Lamar


You'll Never Believe What Happened to Lacey is written by Late Night with Seth Meyers writer Amber Ruffin and her sister Lacey Lamar. Mostly written by Amber, she describes it this way:

My sister Lacey is a lightening rod for hilarious racist stories.

And also:

When you hear these stories and think, None of these stories are okay, you are right. And when you hear these stories and think, Dang, that's hilarious, you are right. They're both.

You may have seen Amber on the segment Jokes Seth Can't Tell which is flipping hysterical. Or perhaps you've seen her show on the Peacock app, The Amber Ruffin Show. If you haven't then you definitely should. She's really funny. And whether you have seen these or you haven't, I highly recommend pulling up several segments on YouTube and watching them just to get her voice in your head. Her sweet tone of voice and sarcastic delivery will absolutely make the reading experience better for you.

The stories Amber and Lacey tell are unbelievable, by which I mean they are horribly believable. Who are these people that would treat someone this way? What is wrong with some people? How do people who treat others this way sleep at night? I really would like to know. Anyone else telling these stories would be depressing, but somehow Amber makes it hilarious.

I highly recommend this book. I've even added it to my "Required Reading" list. I can't wait to listen to the audio version because it is going to be ah-mazing!

 

No comments: