Wednesday, January 27, 2021

The Undrowned by K.R. Alexander


When your kid tells you that you just have to read a book, that it's the best book ever, you do it, no questions asked. That is how I came to The Undrowned by K.R. Alexander. Samantha is a mean bully who pushes her former friend into the lake and watches her die. The next day, she is shocked to see the girl back at school, pretending as if nothing happened.

I was very sad to tell my kid that this book was... not good. She likes it and kids should always be allowed to read what they enjoy, but I was not a fan. The main character has no redeeming qualities and the writing was pretty uninspired. I hate to be so critical, but it was pretty awful.

The only good thing to come of this, was that I made a deal with the kid that I would read this one if she would read Cinder. I've been trying to talk her into it for months and this finally made it happen. I will happily sacrifice a couple of days reading a terrible book if it will introduce her to a fantastic series. And if you haven't yet read The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer, the first book of which is Cinder, I highly recommend that you do. Now off to find something better, hopefully.

 

No comments: