Thursday, October 22, 2020

What I've Heard- The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle


I just finished listening to the audio version of The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton. I read the book about a year ago and it was very confusing for the first few chapters. Then I was able to catch on to the concept and go with it. While I listened to the audio version, I was glad I knew a little of what was happening. It had also been long enough that I had forgotten much of the plot which kept me guessing what would happen next. This, but the way, is my preferred way to listen to audio books, when I have forgotten enough of the story that it is almost, but not quite, like new.

The Narrator is James Cameron Stewart who has a very lovely British accent, but the pace was very deliberate, bordering on slow. I would not recommend this for a long car ride or another activity where you need to remain alert. I listened while riding my bike and that was just fine. The mystery is engaging, but the narration was a bit draggy. It would be a great distraction during housework or other chores that keep you moving anyway. I really do recommend this book, but hold on and be patient with the initial confusion. It is well worth it.

No comments: