Friday, November 15, 2019

The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton


Evelyn Hardcastle dies over and over and over again in Stuart Turton's The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle. There is a party gathered on the anniversary of Evelyn's young brother's death and it will also be the date of her own death unless someone can uncover her murderer.

This book was very slow at the beginning and I almost gave up on it. It starts off with so much confusion that it was a little frustrating. I try to avoid as many spoilers as possible when I read a book, so I hadn't even read the back cover. If I had, I would have had a clue where we were going, but I feel like that shouldn't be neccessary. I don't mind letting go a little, going along for the ride for a few chapters, but we were 9% into the book before we ever even heard the name Evelyn Hardcastle. It just took too long for the story to get going. Once it did, however, it was a heck of a ride! It is a mystery of the best kind and it requires paying attention for clues that will surely be useful in later chapters. I wish I could tell you more but I don't want to ruin it for you, either. I am so happy I didn't give up on this book. Put on your waders to get through the first several chapters, submit to the chaos of not knowing what is going on, and get ready for a very exciting tale. 

No comments: