Monday, February 18, 2019

What I've Heard- The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox



I read The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox nearly two years ago and I really loved it. It was a fascinating story with wonderful characters. I was so sad when I listened to the audio version and discovered that it did not translate well to the listening experience. The book alternates points of view and timelines with very little warning other than a large space between paragraphs. These spaces are not represented by breaks in the audio, leaving the listener confused and scrambling to keep up with the narrator. If I hadn't already read the book and remembered where it was going, I would have been completely lost. The disorientation is only made worse when the point of view switches to one elderly character who is in the late stages of Alzheimer's.

Where are we? When are we? Who are we??

I really enjoyed this book, but I would highly recommend sticking with the print version.

No comments: