Saturday, February 2, 2019

The Hypnotist's Love Story by Liane Moriarty


The Hypnotist's Love Story is the fourth book I've read by Liane Moriarty and I have really enjoyed them all. Well, I did start Truly Madly Guilty, but I really couldn't get into it so I let it go, but the others I loved so it should be no surprise that I fell for this one right away.

Ellen works out of an office in her eccentric home as a therapeutic hypnotherapist. She knows many people view this as a strange occupation, picturing only the few hypnotists they've seen on stage making people dance or quack like ducks, but what she does is wholly different. Ellen actually helps people. When Patrick, her new boyfriend, tells Ellen he has a stalker, she isn't frightened off like he expects, but is intrigued. What would make someone do that? What happened in their relationship that would cause such behavior? Unbeknownst to her, Ellen has already begun treating the stalker with a false name.

This book falls squarely into the ChickLit category: it is a romance, a bit of a love triangle, a will-we-get-married-and-live-happily-ever-after-or-not? kind of book. And there is nothing wrong with that sometimes, especially when it is this well written with compelling characters each with solid motivations and plenty of depth. Even Saskia, the stalker, the so-called villain, is interesting and- believe it or not- likable. This book is fun and it was one I wanted to keep reading all day.

No comments: